Sunday 5 July 2009

3 Jackson lessons

I am not exactly a fan so when I was told about his death, I was not overwhelmed with sorrow. No doubt, he was, and still is the best performer of his generation. But he also gave me the impression that he is somewhat a freak. One my Mom used to term as “yan em chi yan, gwai em chi kwai”, translated as “doesn’t look like human yet doesn’t look like ghost.

But after his death, many, including myself got to read more about his life. And, having seen a documentary about his lifetime, I actually felt quite sad for him. Not for his death, but rather for the life he lived.

I think there are 3 crucial lessons that we can draw from his life, which eventually led to a tragic death.

Lesson 1

His life should serve as a warning to parents who are robbing their children of a normal childhood. For all his talent, MJ was never allowed to grow as a child, or experience the joy of a normal teenager. From the very beginning, all he got was grooming on how to be a good entertainer.

“Neverland”, a strong attachment with Peter Pan, private video clips of him acting like a child, dubbed as someone who is overly fragile… all point towards a man who missed being a child. So if you are one of those “kiasu” parents who are sending your child to school and tuition and then force them to learn a new language and learn piano and learn violin and learn sports and expect them to excel in every single thing… beware!

Lesson 2

My Mom was not alone, there are tonnes of other people who gave MJ all sorts of names. And I am sure many of us here have received a classic forwarded e-mail comparing MJ’s look to an ape. Fans and foes alike, we have all made a mockery of his life.

But now that he is dead… suddenly we only see the good things about him. Suddenly, everyone is a Michael Jackson’s biggest fan. Besides an overdose of typical human hypocrisy, I suppose we can all learn that in life, one will only be seen as a wonderful person when one is dead.

Lesson 3

MJ’s life is the perfect epitome of a famous theme in AZAIG… “Modern Slavery”. Though heavily in debt, several reports claimed that MJ never agreed to do 50 concerts. It was not him, but rather those who will profit most from his concerts that urged him to do 50. Some reports even claimed that he was threatened into doing it.

We may all stand on this side of his world and envy his superstar status, but it does not eliminate the fact that there was a strong element of “modern slavery”. If you are good at what you do, profit oriented corporations will just squeeze the life out of you in the name of money. Never fall in love with your employers.

For what is worth, I am glad he can finally have his eternal rest.

1 year ago…
Do you have a sweaty chest?

2 years ago…
KY (A+B+2C) + KY

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

the world misses michael jackson no matter what.

Jerine said...

Actually I do feel sad for his life too. There's one thing I learnt from him, never trust plastic surgery. Imagine, a person as rich as him can't even safe his look when the plastic surgery gone wrong. Although I'm tempted to have a higher bridge on my nose, but I don't think I can afford losing my nose one day.

day-dreamer said...

Hmm I'm still not one of his biggest fan.

Fi-sha said...

Dear Zewt

Correct, correct, correct...

Most people call me too analytical, but i would take my time to 'digest' a personality - once i understand why, most of the time, i would make friend with the ones being 'ostracised' by the 'community'.

Let MJ Rest in Peace. I choose to see all the good things he brought to us...

Anonymous said...

I watched his life story in tv and I agree it's sad. What a price to pay for all that fame!

Question: Was it worth it?

Jacy said...

I guess all he wanted to do was to bring global peace, and more love for the children around the world. But his life took so many turnarounds, his visions were blurred. The media was being such a jackass, spitting out anything whether it's been proven or not. But oh well, it's the nature we're being bred in. >_>

"We're the nobodies, wanna be somebodies. When we're dead, they'll know just who we are." quoting Marilyn Manson.

MJ said...

Zewt:
What a cold hearted prick you are. How can you not be sad for the death of another human being? He may be a weirdo, he may be exploited by the people around him but that doesn't mean he deserve to die. How can you feel not sad? Don't you have any love for any other person other than yourself? And you are "glad" that he "finally have his eternal rest". Glad that he finally died? Jeez....I hope God helps you for your cold heartedness.

Mcmercedez said...

I really can't find the perfect word to describe the lost of Michael. Like you have mentioned, suddenly everyone is Michael's biggest fan.. But before that, what people know about him was a child molester, freak and etc.. To me, those people are truly hypocrite.. They just show the mourn of the loss when other people does.. This is really sad..

I have been a fan of MJ since I was in Primary school... I still remember how my friends and I try to learn his dance, sing his songs and etc.

To me, another greatest among the greatest had gone from this world. But his spirit and his love will still remain in my life.

R.I.P MJ.. May God Be With You.

whoalse said...

Exactly....

We should all put to rest all the controversies in relation to Jacko but let his legacy of the one and only King of Pop lives on forever!

Rashikaps said...

Sad stuff about his life .. I hope he finds peace now .. at least..

Anonymous said...

Zewt, it's not nice to call someone a weirdo. His life was laid out for the public to see, scrutinize and heartlessly judged. Making fun of someone who is alive is fine by me, because they can defend themselves, but making fun of someone who has passed on?

I find it one time too many that ppl are suddenly calling others who remember MJ as hypocrites. I would see it as ppl, are suddenly reminded of him. That said, it is more that ppl only miss someone when it is lost forever. It's not hypocracy but rather a case of knowing the worth of something when it is gone. Human nature. Also, upon his death, curiosity sparks and many ppl started looking up info about him. So they got to know him better after his death and subsequently felt the loss of his demise. I'd rather ppl mourn and remember him, rather than not celebrate his success at all.

He has a very sad childhood, and stood to be very misunderstood by the public. I believe he is only trying to make the world a better place. If you can see, all his songs are meaningful songs with good lyrics and brings a message for humanity but coupled with really good tunes and music. His songs are not one of those breakup, oh-i'm'so in love, i-got-dumped songs or some nonsensical songs laced with profanity. Try listening to "Man In The Mirror", "They Don't Care About Us", "Heal The World", just to name a few. Tell me, how many musicians can come up with songs that touch the heart and yet isn't a sore to the ears?

About the concerts that he was purportedly forced to do, I am least surprised coz once there is money, there'll be bloodsuckers around.

No one else can sing, dance, compose his own song like MJ did. RIP to the LEGEND. May you find peace and may those who live on their ill-gotten gains sucked and leeched from you get their due karma. Remember for every 2 person that hates you, there'll be 8 others who believed in you, MJ.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing the write up about MJ. I feel sad whenever the media lables him Wacko Jacko. He has feelings too, no matter how different he may be.

He is the only person whom my grandfather, my father and I share in common as a fan of this music icon! His music knows no boundaries, transceeding across generations and races. What a remarkable feat. There'll never be one like him.

PS - I heard that MJ used to walk down the alleys at night to give food and money to poor people. RIP, such a beautiful soul!

TRACE said...

no one on earth will ever understand how much pressure & stress MJ was facing, except God. RIP MJ.

To me, MJ do his best for humanity, for children, for the earth.

For those who truly love MJ for who he was, God bless.

For those who simply hearsay, then write anything(made up stories for the sake of sales & money) or talk or gossip about MJ, they will eat the fruits.

zewt said...

anon @ 6/7 1.12am - indeed...

Jerine - please dont do it ok...

day-dreamer - haha... same here.

Fi-sha - yeah, i shall always remember him for his amazing dance routine.

Mei Teng - to him... perhaps it is...

Jacy - that part of him was quite noble, the humanitarian bit. the world will miss that.

MJ - aiyaaaa... now only u know i am a cold hearted animal? so slow la u...

zewt said...

Mcmercedez - man... where have u been!!! indeed, to say he is the greatest among the greatest is a suitable tribute.

whoalse - yup... let's enjoy his legacy.

Rashikaps - i am sure he did...

anon @ 7/7 1.55pm - i neither hate or overly love him. i will forever respect and admire him for his talent, particularly his dancing. and being called a weirdo is not exactly a bad thing. i have been called that for quite long period of time...

anon @ 7/7 2.29pm - i wouldnt be surprise. of all the famous ppl, he is one of the few who truly have a heart for the poor. may this spirit of his live on.

TRACE - yeah... i read a post mortem report about him. i believe it until i saw the rehearsal video...

Tsu Lin + + said...

Zewt : Good points there. Funny how our mothers can influence how we view him. I remember when I was young, my mom was the one who "educated" me on why he is such a superstar - explaining to me how revolutionary he was!

And isn't he so? I remember everytime his music video comes on, I would watch from beginning to end. His MTVs were really revolutionary for that time, remember Thriller, Beat It & Billie Jean? Gosh! Mesmerised me endlessly.. even till today.

Needless to say when I heard about his death, I was very crushed & sad. RIP MJ.

Huei said...

well not a big fan here..but what u said is so true..we never realize how good things r till they're gone..oh well

maybe this is a better path for him..

jam said...

I like ur second point! One will only be remembered once dead. How true it is! So stop chasing after fame and wealth in your life. Instead, go for a relaxing life and enjoy your short time on earth.

zewt said...

Tsu Lin - yeah, there is just something about his dance and choreography that makes it special, even till today. or may... we are just old :P

huei - i think it is... better rest than stress.

jam - go for things that are truly close to your heart...