Friday 10 July 2009

Manglish or Engrish or ... whatever

For some very strange reason, I can log on to blogger though my office has blocked blogpost for a couple of weeks. So I am now in a bizarre situation where I can blog from my blogger home page but unable to view my blogspot page... bizarre isn’t it?

Anyway…

There are a lot of hoo-haas going around about some decision where some subjects in some school at some level will now be taught in BM instead of English. I am not going to blog about it, at least not in a serious manner. It’s Friday and I don’t want to stress my brain.

But speaking about the command of English, did you watch the repeat of MJ’s memorial service on Wednesday night, shown on 8TV?

For the uninformed, 8TV was having this thing where one can sms your farewell note to MJ to 8TV and it will broadcasted on 8TV during the memorial. And ya’ know, all the sms-es were written in English… errr… I mean… Engrish, or Mangrish (or whatever you want to call it).

And there they were… farewell notes to MJ… displayed on national television… written by people whose country is still thinking on whether English should be a compulsory “pass” in SPM… atrocious would be an understatement.

But the gem of them all has to be… “Mecheal Jakson, I am u biggest fan. I will miss u”

I seriously wonder if MJ does understand most notes posted there.

And ya’ know what? During Madonna’s memorial service (no offence, just an example), Malaysians will be sending messages like…

“Maradona, I am u biggest fan. I will miss u”


1 year ago…
Teens raised dead baby in GuatemalaGym tales – female version

2 years ago… Orgasm comparison

20 comments:

bosscat said...

maradona performing on stage??? how come i din know that?

*sarcasm*

QMG_Maegen said...

"JIEW ... Ayam u Bigger Fans .. i miss u ... " Waahahahaa... ^^

PahNur said...

My sentiments I penned down before I exploded even without the help of C4...vent out my anger in http://lunchatthelakeclub.blogspot.com/2009/07/pusing-pusing-keliling-pokok-mulbery.html

Honestly, if it is not for my still in mourning for MJ, I would have, I don't know, run around Putrajaya covered only with a Malaysian flag, just to show what too much of patriotism can do to a person....

~aSstHa~ said...

I saw those abominable msgs too.. so much so I wound up laughing half of the time reading the msgs than listening to the memorial service... I was wondering which continent those ppl came from... LOLs... I'm mean... :P

Swee Ping said...

They didn't think about how difficult is it for the kids when the kids are in university level..

Huei said...

thats y la..dun teach in yingrish..so much for our "future"

ar fewture will becoming like this lorr

eh not bad..we might be able to build a new language

day-dreamer said...

LMAO "Maradona"......

Have a good weekend, zewt!

Anonymous said...

"For the uninformed...... and it will shown on screen."

Haha..Zewt, I think you made a mistake here too! Was it done on purpose or is it me? LOL :)

Anonymous said...

http://www.FreePremiumDomain.com/?r=116598

Anonymous said...

http://www.FreePremiumDomain.com/?r=116598

sooky said...

Don't challenge them biggest fans okay? They listen to MJ's Engrish songs one okay? But understand no understand the lyrics I dunno lah! :P

beezee~bee said...

'Bloggers to blog in Bahasa Malaysia soon' - how bout that?

~smack head!~ ;p

Cindy Khor said...

honestly, i don't mind the manglish that malaysians use so often in their daily lives as i know that we were not beat up from young to use perfect english.

but it would be proper that malaysian use good english to deal with something formal or official.

Observer said...

Could be Yoda impersonator...

Anonymous said...

"JIEW ... Ayam u Bigger Fans" --> hahaha, laugh die me. good one De Genz!

jam said...

I believe once should not mistaken madonna with maradona. This has little to do with your command of English. It will rather be whether you are literate or not, haha!

gina said...

A few years back, my friend said, while watching Edward Scissorshand, somebody called Johnny Depp, Johnny DEEP. LOL!

So tonight, if I go to watch Public Enemies, I believe there are still people calling him Mr Deep. LOL!

And.. classic.. a school teacher.. instead of saying, "Don't embarrass me!" she said, "Don't embrace me!"

LOLLLLL!

zewt said...

bosscat - hehe... maybe we just havent seen it before.

De' Genz - hahaha... ayam not.

PahNur - hello there. i guess you are referring to the english teaching matter eh?

aSstHa - tell me about it... damn distracting too.

Swee Ping - they will never know becos their kids go to A levels and foreign uni.

zewt said...

Huei - we already had.

day-dreamer - i did! :)

Lifong - my engrish is also not too good lah. what to do... grew up in a school where everything was taught in BM.

sooky - hahaha... very bad la u.

Beezee-bee - i did... a few times, wanna do it a few more times :P

zewt said...

Cindy Khor - it will turn into a habit. i have attended formal presentations where mangrish was so rampant, i almost burst our laughing.

Observer - perhaps right, you are.

anon @ 12/7 2.43am - hahaha... so bad la u.

jam - or just bad spelling. after all, we had a few mecheal jaxon.

gina - that must have been very embracing.