Monday 6 April 2009

Losing the migration blues

Don’t get me wrong. Although I am have been blogging quite a lot about migrating to another country, I didn’t view it favourably slightly more than a year ago. Just like many of us, I like this country very much. We may curse this country on a daily basis but deep within, many of us still recognise the fact that this is indeed, home.

Getting the Aussie PR was more like an option to me, an option to move if “things get out of hand”. And since I had the opportunity to get it, why not?

I used to maintain the stance that our country will change for the better. A year ago, I think we were given the impression that it will, sort of. At that time, I was quite adamant that I wouldn’t need my migration ticket.

Things have changed quite a bit since then. Hope, the very element that keeps many of us going, has diminished tremendously in me. What used to be hope, has now been replaced with a great sense of worry. What will become of this place we call home?

I happen to work in an industry where I am able to see a lot of things, access to a great deal of information. When I put all these data together with the things we see happening and top that up with things we know are happening beneath the surface, I can't help but deduce that future is something my family and I do not have in this country.

As things get worse, I can only draw comfort that when the time comes for me to leave, the heaviness of my heart will get less and less and less and…


1 year ago…
Screwing for desire

2 years go…
Are you aware of its existence?Find the buck over the weekend

19 comments:

may said...

at the end of the day, always remember that everything is impermanent, and you do the best you can wherever you are at that time. :)

enjoy your week, your day, your hour, your minute, your second, your moment!

whoalse said...

A few of us just had this discussion over the past couple of weeks. Home certainly is where we spent our growing up years. Like you, we think the Hope we held on to has been diminishing. It's disappointing to see this happening.

eiling lim said...

Do what you feel best and let's hope you do not regret on the decision.

SamSeiko said...

2 years go? or is it 2 years ago?

May I ask why you want to apply a Aussie PR and not others? Frankly I envy you can do that...

zewt said...

may - indeed, we just have to make best with what we have.

whoalse - well, i will never call down under home... this will always be home. but, we just cannot be staying at home. sad.

-eiling- - certainly hope so.

EliteVillain - well, it's the easiest to get if you are an accountant. dont be envy... singapore also provides a good way out.

homey said...

migration? i don't have the heart to do it when i think of my parents and family members here.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gina said...

I don't know why.. whenever someone gets married and going to have a baby, instead of feeling happy for them, I felt somewhat sad because they are starting their little family and bringing up children in a wonderful country but with corrupt government which would eventually spell disaster.

I felt useless because I didn't try to initiate any migration so I could take my aged parents overseas to let them have a safe and peaceful end of days.

Petite Lass said...

I start to have the same thoughts lately. Like you, I never thought of leaving the country before this.

zewt said...

homey - well, most parents are actually supporting the idea.

little jennifer - it is, even if i am away, it will always be home. just that we cant stay there.

gina - honestly, i cannot imagine how this country will be when the children of our peers reach "maturity" age.

Petite Lass - it's a good start.

neno said...

pity my parents arent supportin tat idea..so here i am..

Huei said...

sigh..how i wish i could too...move away

zewt said...

neno - oh well... i am sure one way, you will be bold enough to make a decision for yourself... like being the janitor part hahahaha..

huei - work on it!

Ice said...

So, does that mean you're applying for aussie PR now? Application in progress?

zewt said...

Ai Shiang - applied... and got it already :)

Ice said...

Good on you! Moving here soon? That reminds me that mine is expiring next month.

zewt said...

Ai Shiang - and you are not making a move?

Ice said...

Zewt, I moved 6 months after I got the PR. I've been in Sydney almost 5 years now. Time flies! I actually moved across the Tasman Seas. Aussie actually is my 2nd PR. I've been away from Msia for 15 years already.

Are you migrating alone or with family? I migrated alone since my family ridiculed any PRs and so they think Malaysia is the best.

Which city are you heading? Let me guess, Melbourne?

zewt said...

Ai Shiang - i will be migrating with my wife. yeah, there are so many ppl here still think malaysia is the best place in the world just becos malaysia has the best nasi lemak and char kuey teow. plan to move to melb... if i cannot find a job... sydney it is.