Tuesday 23 March 2010

Pants

For guys doing desk bound job, how often do you wash your pants? Everyday? Every other day? Once a week?

I know guys who wash their pants on a daily basis. This also means they have quite a big collection of pants to accommodate daily change. Not me though. I think many would consider me as “dirty”. I only wash my pants once a week, sometimes… once a fortnight. Dirty? Unhygienic? Maybe…

Ya’ know, this thing called “washing machine” never existed in my house until I was 16. It means my Mom washed all our clothes with her bare hands for 15 years.

Can you imagine washing pants with your bare hands? Those scrubbing and then having to rinse away the washing detergent, I have witnessed it with my eyes. That green school pants that we guys used to wear are pretty heavy when they’re wet. Did I mention jeans?

Initially, it was like an instruction from my Mom not to dump our pants into the laundry basket every other day. As time goes by, I think we just decided not to wash our pants all the time. After a while, washing pants on a weekly or fortnightly basis became a habit, a routine, a lifestyle.

Although the washing job now belongs to the washing machine and has been for many years now, I still find it strange to dump my pants into the laundry basket after a few days. Sending it to wash after a day is definitely not an option. Of course, if the pants are dirty due to spillage of food, etc., that’s another matter altogether.

Though Mom is no longer around, she reappears in my mind every time I send my pants for washing. And today, I remember the times when my pants were washed by the bare hands of my Mom.

How often do you wash your pants?


1 year ago…
The change I seek

3 years ago…
Dear MommyFarewellIt was not meant to be a surpriseA 2nd chance with Mom

25 comments:

fufu said...

i used to wash 3times a week :) by hands when i was working in singapore...

day-dreamer said...

Depends. Haha.

Monyet King said...

When I was in the university, I think I washed my pants once a month.

Acute Critique said...

I know someone whom washes his pants every once a week too. >__<

personally i think its unhygienic but to him, it's a habit and convenience. ah well.. when in Rome, do as Romans do?

FJ (폐징) said...

omg. think im the worst. 2 months the longest i guess. cant blame me, no washing machine, bathroom is so small so it's hard to wash pants. and like you said, pants are soooooo heavy when they are wet. but i seldom wear pants too. ahaha.

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

If one works in an office with air-condition once a week should be okay, if one does not perspire much.

:)

C said...

I usually wash after a few times wearing them..and I NEVER WASH MY JEANS!!!...heheheh NEVER!!! *gross??*

Tsu Lin + + said...

Love this honest post of you in memory of your mom.

Jeans is ok to wash after many many wear but for working trousers, I used to wash after wearing them once or twice. This, I wash by hands so I accumulate (the trousers) till the end of the week and handwash it myself on the weekend.

Your mum is obviously a great mom. And that's what people do in the previous generations (I know my grandma used to do this too). Really amazing women in our lives.

Petite Lass said...

I wash it everyday....

missironic said...

When I was studying, I had to handwash my clothes, so I know how heavy jeans can be. Seriously no joke! So can't wash too often.. maybe 3-4weeks once or more..

But now, better with the help of washing machine... 2weeks once, at least. :P Wash too often, color also will fade faster.. Hahaha..

eiling lim said...

i don't know the average wash cycle for men's clothes but I wash mine everyday except for jeans which is after 2-3 wears.

Ted said...

In uni days, there's this one formal pants that i only washed once in a year (i dont wear it tat often anyways - maybe 1 mth 3 times?)

Nowadays max is 3 days before washing.

LX said...

At home, laundry is still done handwash. I think we are the only people around doing that.. ahhahaha

TG said...

Malaysia very the hot one. Must wash many time a week, if not?? :P

Seriously, I've no idea how often I wash, but I seem to be a guy like you, haha :P

zewt said...

fufu - good on ya mate.

day-dreamer - on?

Monyet King - hahaha... in uni... none at all lor.

Acute Critique - sounds like u r going to be a roman :P

FJ - hello there... hahaha... i suppose skirts are easier to wash?

Hansac - hello there. yeah, that's what i think. but it does smells a bit after a while.

Chloe Teah - wooaah...!! never? hahahahaha...

zewt said...

Tsu Lin - accumulate and then wash? you have strong hands... wow!

Petite Lass - washing machine?

missironic - precisely... wanna preserve the colour of my pants :)

eiling lim - 2 - 3 years!!!???!?!?!? what's with ppl not washing jeans hahaha...

Ted - hello there...3 days is still too soon i think. maybe once a week is acceptable.

LX - when you work, buy your mom a washing machine. oh wait, washed by maid?

MKL - high five mate.

sinlady said...

i find a lot of Singaporeans these days are obsessive about "clean" whether it's the floor, windows, pants. don't matter what. just wash wash wash. especially when they don't have to do it themselves.

eiling lim said...

2-3 WEARS la... aiyoh

zewt said...

sinlady - are u one of them?

eiling lim - hahahahaha... my bad my bad...

kyh said...

me? once a week... or every fortnite... (in uni lah) :P

actually i think most guys dont really care bout this. but i'm sure girls do.

zewt said...

kyh - but if you read some of the comments... some girls only wash theirs after... a year! hahah!

UnkaLeong said...

Once a week for my work pants. Jeans prolly once in 1/2 a year.

zewt said...

UnkaLeong - hello there... friends of allan? jeans... half a year once... that's pretty long mate.

UnkaLeong said...

Yup, a friend of Allan. Haha. Yeah, that's what my mom tells me. But I hardly wear dem jeans anyway.

zewt said...

UnkaLeong - heard you're a friend of tsu lin too :)