Sunday 13 September 2009

The unforgettable accident experience (Part 3)

The unforgettable accident experience (Part 1)

The unforgettable accident experience (Part 2)

Tan told me that he will settle all the paper work. All I need to do is to authorise his workshop to do the repair. After signing on the dotted lines, I was given some plastic bags and Tan asked to remove all my belongings from my car. It was then that I realised my sun-glasses were gone. Who took it? No prizes for correct guesses.

We exchanged cards and Tan promised me 3 things…that the repair will take no more than 3 weeks, that I will not have to pay a single cent and that he will use original parts. He broke all of them.

After 3 weeks, I went to the workshop only to find my car, totally untouched, still chucked at a corner. And I noticed one thing, the windscreen was completely smashed! I clearly recall that there was no damage to the windscreen during the accident, but it’s was totally smashed when I saw it after 3 weeks. Smashed windscreen equals higher charge, know I mean?

The repairs took more than 5 weeks, and it was a very bad job. The indicator lights were all hay-wired and the exhaust pipe was punctured. The paint job was also badly done. It took another week before the car was within acceptable condition.

Next, you would think that the insurance will cover everything. After all, that’s what insurance is for right? Wrong! I have forgotten the details but I had to pay a few hundred bucks for some charges which the insurance company did not cover. It was not tow-charges, it was something else.

When your car is badly smashed and you endorse an unknown workshop to do the repair, you can forget about original parts. Of course, they will tell you that they used original parts. But a quick inspection by my mechanic revealed that all parts used were butchered from other cars. My mechanic also said that the workmanship was horrible.

I drove the car for another 6 months before I decided to sell it. The car was shaking when I picked up speed, it just didn’t feel safe. And that was when I discovered another piece of shite.

The designated mechanic of the showroom I went to told me that my car was repaired ala “kereta potong” style (joint car). I was told that it will be a big problem selling the car as it will not pass Puspakom inspection.

But then again, this is Malaysia; and Puspakom is a govt agency. All I have to do is to take a big hit in the value of the car and things can be … “settled”. I traded-in the car at RM7,000 below market value. Regardless, I was just glad the nightmare was finally over.

Oh… I did ask Tan about the oil-on-the-road allegation. His reply was plain and simple… “Just be careful when you drive around past midnight”.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you…


2 years ago…
A trip of co-incidences“Tax free” dividends?A thought from an over-loaded brainWhack it over the weekend

32 comments:

rainbow angeles said...

i hope karma will bite those ppl in their butts! or wherever that hurts most... don't they have any conscience at all?

but thanks for sharing the story!

Yvonne Foong said...

Zewt, I read all three posts. Very creepyyyyyy

mh said...

damn...share the "kereta potong" pain - I only found out when I wanted to sell the car. Didn't believe the first second hand car trader, but when the next few traders made the same comment....sigh, no choice but to sell below value.

mun said...

Thanks for the warning. I'll try not to drive around after midnight.

Shaun said...

This is nonsense, not driving around midnight is not the long term solution.

Please report to MACC about the workshop and insurance people. If you car is burnt, the insurance people are the front liners in getting some kick backs for helping them .. i mean helping you out.

Jerine said...

Next time if such things happen again, go to the consumer protection ministry (or something like that) at The Mall. Not really in The Mall, but at Level 12 or 20. I can't remember, anyway, if you go there, you can see which level at the lift. Go to the counter, buy the form (it was RM 20 four years back). Fill up the form and submit it at the counter. The person will do the rest of the work for you.

I sent my winter clothes for dry cleaning and the doby fucked up my clothes. I went to the place, submit the form, and they wrote a letter to the doby. In the end, the doby compensate back RM 2,000 to me. Not enough, but at least I got something back.

missironic said...

Wow.. seriously an expensive nightmare! One after another... Glad all that have passed for u!

Chong said...

Regardless whether they are authorised workshop or not, there is high probability that they will use fake spare parts.

pinknpurplelizard said...

Next time... Keep the name of your insurance contact in your phone. Call them irregardless of the hour to enquire about their panel. There are some who just leave the car where it is and call for towing later.

fufu said...

lucky i have a good mechanic in Rasa... *knock the wood* i mean in case my friends had accident or need to repair their cars, i would recommend them my god father's workshop :) this lesson is a bit expensive but i bet you would be more careful when handling every little thing now right? worth it i would say =p

Anonymous said...

*ahem* http://www.transparency.org/news_room/in_focus/2008/cpi2008/cpi_2008_table

Shaun said...

Is there a part iv and v?

Sue said...

Treachery in the highest degree. (as the man happens to be 'there' for you during the ordeal.)Sorry for you.This is unfortunate for those who work late at night.

pablopabla said...

If you or your loved ones own or drive a car, one of the numbers you or they should always keep in the handphone / car glove compartment is a trusted mechanic. Even for mechanics, there should be 2 types - 1) servicing; 2) car repairs.

Terra Shield said...

Seriously, your experience scares me. I suppose in that moment, you just can't do anything else and hence succumb to the pressure by useless people who try to 'help'...

Kesian the new owner of your old car, though...

stormsea7 said...

....wait, that means the accident happened recently? and that's the reason you bought a new car?

lol, and to think that all the awhile I thought that happen years~ ago

Fi-sha said...

Dear Zewt,

Malaysia Truly Boleh, kan?

p.s. Ive tagged you for "Save Yvonne's Sights"...Would do me wonders?

p.s.s. Congrats on the 'arrival' of your VW..wowieeeee

zewt said...

rainbow angeles - no worries, always a pleasure to share.

Yvonne Foong - indeed it is.

mh - advice is that we should try to ask for total write off when the damage is bad.

mun - hello there. welcome to AZAIG. well, just have to be more careful. no speeding.

Shaun - u seriously MACC is going to be of any help?

zewt said...

Jerine - this is news to me... I shall check that out.

missironic - well, that was years ago.

Chong - hi there. well, u just have to go to your trusted regular one.

pinknpurplelizard - well, i guess it's good to get to know some trusted mechanic...

fufu - your god father has a workshop... too bad not in KL :)

anon @ 14/9 12.42pm - pretty high ranking malaysia eh?

zewt said...

Shaun (again :) ) - trilogy only :)

Sue - yeah, it is. those working late... easy prey.

pablopabla - yup... that's waht i learned... very useful.

Terra Shield - i never see my old car on the road... think no one bought it :P

stormsea7 - my latest acquisition is my 3rd car.

Fi-sha - hmm... another tag. I have donated to Yvonne before. And also trying to work out something for her fund... so far, bottlenecks.

foongpc said...

This is such a horrible experience! So don't drive after midnight? Well, maybe it's good advice cos you can avoid the oil on the road and Mat Rempits as well!

And another piece of advice is never ever let anyone who appear immediately after your car accident to tow away your car, and never ever sign anything with them! Wait for your own trusted mechanic or call AAM.

Anonymous said...

did you see tan take your sunglasses? if not how can u be 100% sure it was him? you might be wrongly accusing him in this case. You are a hypocrite christian if so.

Tell me u arent implying that Tan took the sunglasses...

zewt said...

foongpc - sometimes, when you are in shock and surrounded by a lot of people telling you so many things, it can be very difficult to make a sound decision. and most of the time (in malaysia) you have not much choice.

anon @ 15/9 2.37am - huh? you mean you dunno christians are hypocrite ah? aiyah... now only u know meh? and yes... I am IMPLYING ACCUSING ALLEGING ASSERTING CONTENDING DECLARING that they took it.

Anonymous said...

Serves u right mr.hypocrite.

eiling lim said...

Predictable isn't it? Malaysians are very capable at grabbing any opportunity to cheat you off some monies...

gina said...

I was lucky that my tow truck driver - mechanic is a friend.. so no such nightmare. He did my car just as promised, 2 weeks.. one day earlier than expected.. paid all my summons.. and I just need to sign the dotted line for him to claim kao kao.

zewt said...

foongpc - yeah, got a brand new one, nice!

-eiling- - and we are getting proud of it.

gina - well, he used proper parts and no kereta sambung eh?

the Sojourner said...

gosh. this brings back memories of my own accident. i seriously think the investigation/claims/repair work process is f**ked up beyond redemption.

it took me a good month before i could claim my car back - and the repair job from the so-called 'authorised workshop' was a piece of crap.

glad you're over it now.

zewt said...

petrina - yeah... i think it's the same for everyone. the thing is... things are just going to get worse.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's too late to comment but when I read this entry (episodes 1-3), it seemed like you've made up some parts of the story. Especially the Balai episode. How could Tan and the police distribute the money in front of you although I agree bribery is a desease here. People like to read this kind of story and you really know how to write a good blog. My apologies if it's really a true story.

Anonymous said...

One thing ...'bribery is a deasease'(x 'here') I did not refer to Malaysia in particular. Many other parts of the world have this problem and there are still many good and honest policemen in our country based on my own experiences.
However, this's really a creepy story.

zewt said...

anon @ 18/9 4.52pm - which planet are you from? we have got engines being stolen from airbase and submarines which cant dive and you think distributing 50 bucks in the middle of the night is a surprise? seriously? i can tell you the story is damn true! i was there.

anon @ 18/9 5.54pm - true, i do believe there are good and honest cop around. but i think they are too little to make a difference.