Tuesday 20 January 2009

CNY is up to us

Something out of topic before I began… one “letter to thyself” which I sent out came back with the sender telling me she has forgotten the password. For those who have sent their version to me this time round, please don’t forget your password ok? No one in this world can help you on that…

Blogger Kat left a very interesting comment in my previous post regarding the tradition and memories of Chinese New Year. I am sure all of us have our own version of memories of wonderful times spent with family and close friends. It is indeed very sad to hear that some of us no longer “enjoy” CNY and would rather spend the day in isolation.

If that is the case, I think we should honestly ask ourselves… what is it that causes us to think and act in such a manner. Is it because we no longer have a hometown to go back to? Is it because our parents are no longer around? Is it because we have indulged ourselves so deep into the ways of the west till we no longer how to value the beauty of the east… our east?

This CNY is a different one for me. It should have been different last year but I was sent to London for a few months thus I missed out on the full impact of CNY. This is the first CNY where I will have a reunion dinner with my family minus my Mom. I can still taste the signature dishes she used to cook. Looking bad… that part of CNY is truly irreplaceable.

Secondly, this will be the first time where I will be giving ang-pows instead of receiving them. I was spared from giving the double-dose as I was in London last year so… it was indeed a good trip…

Looking at the difference in my CNY this time round, I suddenly realised my role has changed. For so many years, we have been “given” CNY memories by our parents and grandparents. They are the ones who paint a picture of how CNY should be into our heart. As they move on, we suddenly realise that the wonderful picture of CNY is no longer there. Perhaps that is why we have all grown jaded.

Hence, as most of us are entering into the next phase of life, I believe it is now up to us to be the painter of CNY spirit in the heart and mind of the younger generation. It may not be strict traditions about clothing or superstitious practises… it may no longer be the thundering sound of fireworks and how we use to burn ourselves…

Whatever it is, as long as we are reminded of the wonderful bond of family and sincerely paint a wonderful CNY picture to those celebrating it for the first few times, then the spirit of CNY will certainly live on. Really, it’s up to us on whether we want to make CNY feels like a CNY…

22 comments:

3POINT8 said...

"it may no longer be the thundering sound of fireworks and how we use to burn ourselves"

man, i miss those days when we get to burn a friend with intention and call it an accident. Oh well, cny just ain't the same 20years before this...

Anonymous said...

wish u a happy new year & great year ahead

whoalse said...

I miss those days when we could still play with fireworks and it was "war" with neighbours lighting up the sky.

I have missed out last 2 reunion dinners & CNY but will be heading back in a few days' from Aus. My family has been keeping the reunion dinner going but no longer having it at grandparents' house. Like you, I certainly miss my grandma's CNY dishes.

Keong Hee Huat Chye, tai keh.

Terra Shield said...

It is indeed sad that the meaning of these festivals are lost upon us. I've started to look at festivals as a means of 'resting' from work!

Anyway, Happy CNY to you and your family! :)

Huei said...

cny to me is another reason for me to put up with people i don't want to..i can't celebrate that! hahaha

and yes how true..what's the point of celebrating it if it's not with those that we love that brought us up? well to me at least

i'm not more western la..still an ah lian..that just don't enjoy cny..how can..we get older..we should be hiding! =P

missironic said...

I love CNY! It's the one festive occasion that I truly will enjoy. Well, firstly I get to receive angpows! But most of all, I get to have reunion with my family, cousins and frens especially the ones who come back one yr once! So for me, CNY is the time for gathering and to catch up on things and do enjoyable thing plus wearing new clothes! hahahaha...

I'm definitely keen on continuing this CNY spirit, but the traditions.. I tink it will not pass on that much. hahaha...

Zuraida said...

happy CNY zewt!!!!

taxy said...

Okaylar....!! I'll decorate the friggin' house next year. Ease off with the guilt trip.

Sabrina Tan said...

To me, I think CNY is just like any other festive season that brings family and friends around.

Sure you'll have some people that you just can't tolerate, but I guess in a way it's just a way of catching up.

When one is not back in your hometown, one can feel the difference, like me currently not in Msia.
Thankfully the Monday is also a public holiday of another reason in kiwiland, so that's a holiday in a way.

No fireworks, no family, no visitations, no angpau... so just invite your close friends around for a feed!

That to me, is also a good signification of CNY

iamthewitch said...

You wrote exactly how I feel about CNY. That it is up to us to FEEL the spirit of us, that we are the painter... Well, I may not reach the level of giving ang pows yet, but I certainly do want to paint a red picture of CNY for everyone my junior. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Wednesday! Bloghoppin' here... Hey, I have an interesting tutorial for you that I have written myself. It is about adding Adsense on your Single Post in XML template. I hope you'll like it! God Bless you!

Anonymous said...

It will be my forth one away from home but I had always make it a point to call home on the eve when everyone is together. Well, CNY is more than angpows and the food, it's the opportunity to get together just like Christmas as an opportunity to get together for most Westerners.

So "Is it because we have indulged ourselves so deep into the ways of the west till we no longer how to value the beauty of the east… our east?" is not really accurate, it should be "we have indulged ourselves so deep into the PERCEIVED ways of the west...."

Anonymous said...

"as most of us are entering into the next phase of life, I believe it is now up to us to be the painter of CNY spirit in the heart and mind of the younger generation. Whatever it is, as long as we are reminded of the wonderful bond of family and sincerely paint a wonderful CNY picture to those celebrating it for the first few times, then the spirit of CNY will certainly live on"

very well tot out Yew T :)

wat m i still a kid complaining bad cny asking good 2 b painted! shame on me!

happy cny every1

Unknown said...

i like yr take on this. it relates closely on the 'power in our hands' in a way. and the 90/10 rule :)

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

well its up to u to create the chaos and the hoo haa...regardless those bz ones can take it as a time to go home and spent quality time

Anonymous said...

Zewt~ I want angpow from you! =D

Anonymous said...

As the CNY approaches, we all grown up by another year. The role we play in life is definitely changing too. But I still enjoy every much CNY celebration each year. That's our culture!

zewt said...

3Point8 - yeah... it sorts of removed the heart of CNY isnt it? i just feel the ban is unfair.

Edi - thanks bro.

whoalse - dont war lah... that's why fireworks kena ban... haha! well, as the last generation moves on... we will need to be the 'grandpa' soon :)

terra shield - now taht you've realised... time to do something about it :)

huei - hahaha... your situation a bit funny eh? well, do something else... :)

zewt said...

missironic - well... i am not referring to superstitous practises lah... as long as you keep the fun going, then ok lor... like gambling hahahaha...

zuraida - thanks! :)

taxy - hahaha... trust me, when your children is all grown up... do u want them to abandaon u during CNY?

pavlova - hey... i expect u to be back here :) and eat your hearts out... aust is too hot now lah... come back lah...

iamthewitch - absolutely... if all of us realise that... then CNY will live on.

Hapi - hello there. thanks... will have a look.

zewt said...

ven - perceived? hmmmm... interesting. eh... dont stay abroad for too long lah. come back once a while.

anon @ 22/1 9.31am - we need to be the painter at some point of our chinese life :)

QuaChee - yup... so, let us all play a part :)

constant craver joe - hahaha... chaos it is... gambling too!

littlepolaris - wahhh... how to give u here ahahaha...

jam - yup... keep the culture going. after all... we can never change who we are.

missironic said...

Gambling? In that case, oh yes.. it is still continuing till today! hahahaa.. :)

zewt said...

missironic - hahahaha... that will never go extinct!