Sunday 18 July 2010

Why did you hire me?

I asked that straight to my boss’ face the other day, and I think I caught him by surprise. And the first word that came from him was… “personality”

The nature of my work requires a certain level of technical knowledge, and I don’t think I am a very technically sound person. Well, I am not saying that I am crap, but there are certainly others who are much better than me. I am just slightly above average.

Hence, I never really expected him to say that I am given the job because I am exceptionally good in what I do. Personality certainly made more sense.

He further explained that I have the personality to interact well with people, which is crucial in the role I am in now. 75% of my time is spent talking to people. The ability to articulate my thoughts and the courage to voice them out in front of people, those are the attributes that landed me this job.

Other remarks from him include – I was “pretty natural” when I want to initiate a conversation with someone, and that I am not one who reacts negatively towards criticism.

Well, I sort of know why I was offered this position. Asking him that question was just me trying to test how does my boss sees me.

Succeeding in life is not just about working hard and being good that what you do. Of course, those are certainly important attributes. But I have learned that there is one crucial component to success… the ability to talk.

Are you able to stand in front of 50 people and talk without pissing in your pants? And if you do talk, do the 50 people understand what you are talking about? When you bump into your big big big boss at the pantry, do you quickly get your drink and go away hoping he/she didn’t notice you? Or do you try to strike a conversation with him/her? When you are at a dinner function, and your big big big boss decides to sit next to you, do you freeze in fear? Or are you able to speak as though he/she is a regular colleague (talking sense of course)?

All these things matter. And apparently, “they” have been observing me. The time when I was sent to London… those conferences… those formal dinner functions… those informal gatherings…

Some are of the opinion that “ability to talk” equals “ability to bullshit”. While that is not entirely accurate, there are certainly more successful bullshiters compared to successful non-bullshiters.


1 year ago…
Do you know you work for the bank?Please scold your parents

2 years ago…
A change in dominant languageGym tales – female version

3 years ago…
Orgasm comparisonDebit affluence, credit conscience

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting... and true

sinlady said...

you sound like the right guy in the right job. congrats :)

blackjack said...

I thought you disappeared.

MSC L17 said...

i setuju dgn boss u..kalau i boss pun i will hire u.....mau ka??

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

the art to bullshit is the key to success hahaha.

good stuff in getting your new job!

well hope to eventually c u down under one day bcos i m moving down end of the month!

TG said...

I think what your boss wanted to say is you're a handsome bullshitter, haha. Kidding. I think you're very skilled and intelligent. That's why you're successful. I believe you will have a great career and be in a top top position in a couple of years. At that time, please remember this comment and invite me to soak in water on top of Marina Bay sands. Oh, and I'd like a Martini, shaken, not stirred that is :P

Pinknpurplelizard said...

If all falls bad in the legit work sector, you could always be a con-man. That way you will fully utilise your skills and natural charm. :P

Anonymous said...

Aznil Haji Nawawi is a person with the ability to talk.

Ibrahim Ali is a person with the ability to bullshit.

;-)

Huei said...

if i ask my boss y he hired me..his answer would be simple...

"CHEAP LABOUR"!

aihhhh

WY said...

confidence in professional environment comes from a few sources:
1) past experience (that's why old farts are fucking confindent)
2) high technical/job skills competence (they know they are good, so they can talk cock - e.g. phd, professors, external consultant).
3) highly paid achievers (they have succeeded in big projects/deals before..so nothing s big anymore).
4) rich kids (sadly, this is true. if they know there's nothgin to lose, they become more cocky - and somewhat if properly manifested - it becomes natural confidence).
5) trained public speaker (rarely) - maybe george washington and obama.

So, it's easier to say than done. Which one are you zewt??

ZACL said...

This is a particularly interesting post, especially, the insight into the attributes your employer sought in his prospective employee, and why those qualities were needed.

Very good! :)

InjusticeSistem said...

erm....hmmm.....somehow i hv a feeling dis post is not yet complete...u aint telling da whole story, rite?....dis is only half da story i bliv.....now b honest....

Jerine said...

Haven't been reading blogs for a long time and I just found out you're in Singapore now. Hahaha... I'll be joining you there next year :)

InfanT said...

I truly agree with you. 'Ability to talk' shows how a person can express himself/herself well whether he/she needs to face 10 or 50 people. The confidence when a person talks is also quite important. 2 cent opinion :D
Have a blessed weekend!

kyh said...

This is sooooo true. Many ppl seem to lack this skill nowadays. Not withstanding this, there are also those who are very good in the act of bullshitting, yet it's always talk and no action done.

Kim said...

Some people manage to 'detect' a person through the content of their conversation. I believe you talk with substance just like how you post it out in your blog. And most of them make sense. Most people talk based on what they feel or without doing any 'homework' which obviously known as BS. Heheh.. Which I believe most employers really need. Someone with substance.

Crankster said...

I guess I have the ability to bullshit. But it gets me places.

zewt said...

anon @ 18/7 8.23pm - indeed...

sinlady - well, i am really hoping that i am.

blackjack - am always here mate.

MSC L17 - bila mau rekrut?

constantly craving joe - all the best to you mate, that is still my long term plan.

zewt said...

MKL - when you're here in singapore, i will take you out for a drink regardless of whether i am successful or not.

pinknpurplelizard - honestly, i think it's an art to come out with a good con :)

anon @ 19/7 10.56am - agreed :P

Huei - hahahahahahahah!

tomatoinc - none of the above :P how ah?

ZACL - well, i think those attributes are important in most profession, particular law... but i am not a lawyer :P

zewt said...

InjusticeSistem - hahahaha... somewhat correct... after 2 months of working here, i will blog more about the working culture.

Jerine - welcome welcome...

InfanT - your 2 cents worth a lot there :)

kyh - and believe it or not, those ppl will be more successful than those who cant bullshit.

Kimmy - thanks for the compliments. but honestly, there are times where i need to BS through... :)

Crankster - and that's good right?

dy said...

talk about reacting negatively towards criticism.... SIGH. i had a super hard time at work facing this kind of people. X_X

aiting said...

I am very tempted to ask my boss this question too but I'd rather not. Not now at least.

I'm seriously wondering how the heck did I qualify to be in this job. I conned my way through the interview that's for sure. Feeling bloody hell incompetent now. Hope I pick up the pace soon. Hoping even harder that this is what all freshers go through >.<

zewt said...

dy - and that is why you keep saying fuck it right? haha

aiting - hahaha... well, you should. it will give you good insights, trust me.

Z said...

the last sentence is a complete WIN XD

i'm sure you being a blogger has also somewhat primmed you into improving your language and social skills. ^_^

zewt said...

z - hello there... haha... well, dont think my blogging life has improved my language but at some point, it did tweaked my social skills a little.